Saturday, September 5, 2015

Love for Bowling

Last night there was a storm and let me tell you that Virginia by far has the worst thunderstorms of anywhere I've lived. Over the years I have heard many different explanations to tell kids not to be scared of the storms, but the one that has always stuck with me was God and the angels bowling.
Last nights game must have been something to witness! Anytime there is a good thunderstorm I find myself thinking about what kind of game is being played. I guess it is a left over security blanket from childhood. Suddenly there was a loud CRACK right on top of my house and I jumped as a lightening strike couldn't have been farther than a mile away. God just got a strike, literally. I had to laugh at myself, because I was already writing this post in my head and knew that I had to include that moment. That even as an adult, we still get scared by our childhood fears.
A couple months ago, I drove home in a 'Virginia Thunderstorm' as we call them in our house, after dark. It is a truly terrifying experience. One that I spent praying the entire time to just make it home safely. Torrential downpour, strobe light lightening, thunder so loud you can feel it. That night I was 75 minutes from home. It took me 2 hours to get home because the visibility was to the front of my car. I didn't have my radio on. I didn't need any further distraction. Speed limit 70, I was driving 40.
The bowling game that night.... Was one I'll never forget! Maybe those games are the tournaments between God, Jesus, Moses, Noah, the apostles... Maybe that's why it's so violent... Maybe it's like our Saturday night black light special that some of the bowling alleys do. What ever the reason, they certainly make a mess when they bowl that hard.... My yard is covered with limbs this morning and I'm sure when I leave today I'll discover downed trees.
But when the next storm rolls through, and the thunder starts.... I'll still think of God and the angels....
What comforts do you have today from your childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment