Monday, January 18, 2016

Love Lia's Road Trips

Lia took another trip this weekend, but she had company.  China, a Shar Pei, and Safari, a Dachshund, were along for the ride to New York as we headed to my mom's surprise birthday party.
My mom's best friend and my grandmother started planning this party in December and convenient enough my parents were planning on being in New York for my mom's birthday.  The one malfunction is that when my parents leave town, I watch the dogs, so I knew I was going to miss the party.  I had missed my dad's birthday a couple years before because they were in NY and I was going to miss this one because they were going to be in NY.  I was ok with it.  I get most birthdays, my siblings rarely get to see them.  So I would let them have the big party and I would get the rest.
And then I got a call from my mom's best friend saying you need to come too.  Find another dog sitter.  You are going to be at this party!  Yes, ma'am!  You don't say no to my mom's best friend.  She makes stuff happen, one way or another.  So I did my part.  I made the arrangements so that I could come.
And then Mom started saying that we were going to get hit with a massive snow storm and she was going to cancel the trip.  So I started watching the weather...  Nope, the weather looks good, Mom.  It's ok.  You can go.
Well, the weather in NY doesn't look good.  I don't think we are going.
(She was right about that one....)
I contacted my sister and said you got to help me out...  She is going to cancel if we can't tell her that the weather is going to be fine.  And we totally sugarcoated it!
I woke up the next morning to find wrapped presented for my nieces' birthday and sent messages to my sister and mom's best friend and said I think the trip is a go!!!
After they left, I went into a mad frenzy, getting the dogs ready to go (oh yeah, my dog sitter cancelled on me and I couldn't find a replacement...), packing balloons so that I could make a balloon sculpture for mom's portion of the birthday party, doing one last load of laundry, packing my bags, and dog proofing my van, and headed out the next day to transport my parents dogs across 5 states without their permission and hoped that nothing happened!  There was lots of praying going on!!!
China didn't get car sick at all.  Safari was nice enough to share her bed with China (mostly because Safari spent most of the trip on the back seat.)  And we made it to NY and only drove through an hour of snow.
As I built Mom's surprise balloon sculpture, China and Safari played with my mom's best friends' dogs and had a great time!
Just before the party was to start my mom's best friend came to get me and the completed sculpture and we walked into the party with my grandmother and it was AWESOME!
And then I was asked, "Where are the dogs?"
All in all, it was a fabulous trip.  Lia, China, Safari and I made it home last night safely.
Love is Here, Take it With You!  Lia.  I definitely think that this weekend embodied that definition in every person who knew about the party and helped plan it in any form.  So much love for everyone, friends, family, adopted family, and dogs too!

No comments:

Post a Comment