It's that time of year again. When we all start thinking about what we want to accomplish this year.
I want to make more money!
I want to lose weight!
I want to be more organized!
I want...
I want...
I want...
This week in Sunday School, we were asked if anyone had set New Year's resolutions. Out of 13 people, not a single person had set resolutions.
Maybe because we have all considered reasoning similar to what I'm about to propose, maybe not...
I subscribe to an athletic devotional, PrayFit and the entry the other day on resolutions really caught my eye. I knew I wanted to share it here, with you.
It quotes from a poem some 200 years old that is basically saying 'Lord choose for me my wealth and health and friends.'
What a radical concept that would be in today's world!
First, to think about relinquishing control of your wealth, be it the job you are looking for or that you have or the promotion or raise you need or your tithe to your church... Pray about it, all of it, trust in God to take care of ALL of your financial needs. That is a very scary concept in a world where we have to have control of everything.
Next, to pray for good health and to ease the suffering of those in pain. I have seen first hand the power of God's medical miracles and they are simply amazing if you have the faith to believe. I'm not saying that you will not have unanswered prayers, because I experience plenty of those as well and He does not promise to fight every battle for us. But that should not stop us from turning our worry about our health and the health of friends and loved ones over to Him.
And finally, this one may seem unimportant and you might wonder why I even included it. Because, in my opinion, if we are to draw closer to God then who we are surrounded with matters, our community matters. If God chooses this community for us, then the chances are it will be a Christ-centered community, and you will only grow closer to Him as you grow closer to them.
I have experienced this in the last 6 months or so as my church community has surrounded me and enveloped me and I now count several people from my church as very dear friends. Without them and without my church, my journey over the last few months would not have progressed as far as it has.
So no matter if you are or you are not setting resolutions this year, ask God to take control of your life and choose for you, to take 2016 where He wants it to go. I guarantee you'll go farther with Him driving than if you were.
This is my self discovery journey of love: love of God, love of myself, love for others, and love from others.
Monday, January 4, 2016
Love for Resolutions
Labels:
PrayFit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment