Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Love for Wide Open Roads

I grew up in a town of 900 people.  The school system I graduated from had 1200 from K-12.  My graduating class was 67. Our roads were 2 lanes. Heavy traffic was getting stuck behind a school bus or a tractor, but when it was safe, both would pull over to let you pass.
We would go to the neighboring cities for our groceries and to see my mom's parents, or my dad's sisters lived in the 'big city' an hour away.  That was a full days trip if we decided to make it.  But going to these cities, we rarely encountered multi-lane traffic, and if we did, everyone in the car was expected to help out. And if we went to downtown Ithaca... Just expect to sit in a parking lot... And don't go during rush hour! (We went out of our way to avoid going there....)
I moved from there to Tampa Bay and then ended up an hour outside of Richmond, where I make the commute every day... Same amount of time as it used to take to get to my aunts house... Funny how life changes...
But this is not the point of my story.
Richmond traffic is about as far from the traffic I grew up with as you can get and even when I go out of my way to avoid the heaviest areas, I still find traffic... Everything is 2, 3, 4 lanes in each direction and I go insane. Someone out there is masochistic enough to enjoy all this traffic... That person is not me!
After telling my 'Blinded' story to my Thursday night group, one of the ladies said that she prays for the other person instead of turning on her high beams... Way to make me feel 3" tall.... But I figured it was probably the more Christian way to react and I would try it.... So I have been, but I'm not really sure on how to pray for someone that is literally about to make me crash my car, since I have enough problems seeing at night. I've also been trying to pray for the person who cuts me off or doesn't use their turning signal or drives to slow or.... Not that I'm an aggressive driver, but I have a very long list of pet peeves when it comes to driving and I love to vent about them.... So I've been praying a lot while driving.... But I still haven't figured out the how part....
I said at the beginning, in the 'Blinded' post that this was my journey of love. Well, part of yesterdays journey was that as I started to go off, I realized I was, and I started to pray instead. Asking for continued guidance. I know that He will show me the way as long as I ask. And I am catching myself more often, stopping, slowing down, trying to show His love, even when I'm in the car, by myself and no one is looking.
Where are you showing His love today?

No comments:

Post a Comment