Today is my sister's birthday. She is less than 2 years younger than me and growing up we were really close. In high school, we had a lot of the same friends. When a lot of people would comment to me saying I could never imagine being that close to a sibling, I would respond with I can't imagine anything different.
I'm Italian, and not that I was raised in a traditional Italian household, but I do think that we were raised with a certain sense of family means everything. My parents liked big houses on a decent amount of land that usually guaranteed that outside of cousins, we didn't have many playmates, so siblings it was. And man, we could come up with some crazy stuff. But it was a great childhood and I love my siblings very much!!
My parents moved to VA leaving my sister in their house in NY. My husband and I had just moved into our apartment a couple of towns away and life was perfect. Until he started driving a wedge between me and everyone I knew, including my sister. By the time I left him 4 months later, my sister and I weren't talking at all.
10 years later, we are 500 miles apart and basically only talk if we are in the same state. We aren't Facebook friends. I used to wish her Happy Holidays until I received a message back asking who it was texting her. She won't read this.
The state of our relationship breaks my heart.... More than she could ever know...
One of my best friends taken from me because I was young and stupid and I didn't know what was happening to me. I can't fix what happened. I can't undo what happened. I can't go back in time and change history. Really I don't think I would want because all of that history made me into who I am today, and I like the me I am. But some days.... most days.... I really wish I hadn't had to lose my sister when I decided to make the single biggest mistake of my life.
I can only pray that one day I am forgiven.
Happy birthday to the one and only sister I have!

No comments:
Post a Comment