One of the girls in my Bible study and I have long talked about the topic 'does God test you?' as we study one verse or another from week to week.
A couple weeks ago, the author of our current Bible study answered that question in terms that we both could understand. Since today is Ash Wednesday and marks the beginning of Jesus' temptation with the devil, I thought it a great time to write this.
In Seamless, Angie Smith describes the scene with Abraham as he prepares to sacrifice his son as a test. Before Isaac is killed, God reveals a ram in the bushes.
She continues to say that when the devil tempts you, it is like a candy bar is front of you...
Now I grant you that telling the difference between these situations is not always easy.
First of all, let me just say candy? Yummy! Even if I can't eat it any more, it doesn't mean I don't want it... And it's the devil offering it to me, so I'm sure he knows how to offer so that I don't realize that I'm even taking it... And that's the problem! We have to be on guard! At all times!
And Abraham was being asked to be kill the son that he had waited forever for? How cruel! But sometimes God calls us things we don't understand so that He can open our eyes.
I have no big answers to know the difference between test and tempt... Between a ram caught in the bush and a candy bar... Sometimes they will look the same... But if we are careful, if we are on guard, if know submerse ourselves in God's word and surround ourselves with His family, at the very least, it becomes much more difficult for the devil to gain access to us. And when he does, we will have an amazing support group and the knowledge to protect ourselves and say candy... Nah... No thanks!
So I challenge you over the next few weeks to find your candy, to say no thanks... Or to find your ram and tell the Lord that you are willing to step up to His challenge!
I have faith in you! I know you can do it!
Are we tested? Yes! Are we tempted? Yes! Are we strong enough? With God, yes!
This is my self discovery journey of love: love of God, love of myself, love for others, and love from others.
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Love to Know: Tested or Tempted
Labels:
Seamless
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment